The 4 hour workweek
The book by Timothy Ferris, The 4 hour workweek influenced me a lot!
May be because I live a life exactly opposite to some of the fundamental concepts of the book as listed below:
1. Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere. He talks about Life Style Design. With quotes as below:
Whenever you find yourself on the side of majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain.
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination
- Oscar Wilde
2. The New Rich ( NR ) are those who abandon their deferred life plan and create their luxury life styles in the present using the currency of New Rich: Time and Mobility. This is an art and science which we will refer as Lifestyle Design. (LD )
3. DEAL: D for definition- of the New Rich, E for elimination – intrusions and collision elimination in time, A for Automation – ousourcing, L for liberation – mobility and mini retirement.
4. D – Deferrers, NR – New Rich
D : work for themselves, retire young, want to buy all the things, want to be boss rather employee
NR : Not work work for work sake ( w4w ), distribute retirement as mini retirements, do all the things that they want to do, want to be owners not bosses.
5. Money is multiplied in practical value as the control in your life – what you do, when you do, where you do and with whom you do.
6. Everything popular is wrong. Beating the Game, Not playing the game. Less is not laziness. The timing is never right. Things in excess become their opposite. Relative Income is more important than absolute income. Lifestyle out of money is important than money itself.
7. Are you inventing things to do, to avoid important?
Reading, after a certain age, diverts mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls in to lazy habits of thinking.
- Albert Einstein.
I think some of the concepts mentioned in the book are different from the east thinking where we give importance to long hard work and savings.
Also, my thinking goes as this kind of thinking may bring more misery to west.
May be I am wrong.
The book is NYTimes and WSJ best seller. May be Tim Ferris is trying to please all!
Malick Md PMP